Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Dispatch from the land of ever thirsting drinkers and the one who must serve them

Day 6 of 7: The insane work week continues. The degree has now been complete for almost a week, yet not a moment have I had to go forth and enjoy what ought to be an immense freedom. Instead I spend all my days in a dark cave pouring drinks for ever thirsty New Yorkers who demand I be available from the first blush of daylight till the world is once again swallowed in darkness. I feel I am perhaps being swallowed myself. I must sally forth, break free of those who keep me in the cave, through a mix of stunning incompetency in failing to hire enough staff and a cunning reading of my inability to leave them to fall to their rightful fate. I shall sally forth and return my phone calls, celebrate the completion of my degree, regain a semblance of the life I once had before work, the thesis writing process, the thesis approval process and the unbelievably stressful family celebration of the actual graduation took over everything.

There will be freedom, to roam and to relax, to play and to recover, at the end of this period but it is hard to imagine at this moment. Not when I must report back to the cave today and tomorrow, and then with barely a day's rest, be back again on Friday. No it is hard to imagine that freedom. But how sweet it will be.

There is a girl (there is always a girl). Perhaps she will be different. Actually she already is different. We came a long towards one another over a greater time than I've ever done before we finally came together. I do not have to discover her anew. We have spent a lot of time learning one another. She is amazing. And yet I am scared. What have we done to our friendship by making this move? How will I stay satisfied and quell that restlessness that ends each of these things so certainly?

I don't know the answer to these things but shortly I will be free to find out. I will escape the incompetent restauranteurs I am bound to for long enough to have life again and find different employment that will not keep me so long in one spot. And I will return to this blog world once again with tales of my adventures and misadventures. Thank you for your well wishes. I look forward to returning to join you.

My regards from the cave,
Your loyal blogger, bartender and now Master of the Arts,
Flinty McFlinterson

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere and congrats on getting your degree. I'm in the midst of writing my second book and completion seems a long way off.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find your blog to be incredibly interesting. I would love to link to it with your permission.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Flint said...

Thank you. Interest is always appreciated. What is your website link?

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mazal tov!!

as a longtime reader struggling with my own masters thesis!! i wish i was you today!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Coco! said...

felicitations, cheri! we'll have to find a way to celebrate properly, now won't we?

4:03 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

Hey, we have something in common. In fact someone thought this might be my blog. I don't know if that is your last name but shoot me a note. BTW, enjoy the blog...

Rambler

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home