Saturday, November 19, 2005

Saturday morning expedition

I love walking around my neighbourhood early in the morning. You can hear every sounds loud and clear. A car starts up just behind you, startling you cause you didn't even notice anyone in it; there's a rumble from the next street as construction workers fix roads and create huge messes, another car starts further down the road and then a sanitation truck roars by. Each sound is distinct, starting far, coming closer and tailing off depending on their movements and yours. All the spaces look bare and empty, unpopulated by people yet, made even more stark by the silence. The creak of a bicycle the only intrusion on the peace now. Big open lots with two men working in them. Even 20 feet away, the men loook like toy figures in the large expanse. I walk by a circus that's setting up and laugh with two passers-by at the horses making out. The camel is not friendly. It stares at me intensely before growing bored and then looks back sharply when I start to move. I let it be. I sneak into a fire station and take pictures of the uniforms hanging untended. "Cassare" one of them says. I'd never realized the firemen's names are written on their jackets. These are engraved in a harsh orange. I wonder how that, along with the bright blues which appear in the shades of grey my Black and White film transforms everything into. I take a picture of a pair of boots someone left by a truck tire. As the day progresses, people come out. My early morning film shoot is going well, so I extend it and keep shooting, meeting odder and odder characters. Amen for the fine folks of New York City. I'm hungry now though. I wonder if I have anything in my kitche.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home