Thursday, January 12, 2006

Resolutionish

I don't do resolutions the way most people do. Instead of a laundry list of things I'd like to change, I generally decide on some abstract thing that I'm thinking would make my life better and almost unconsciously work through it. For example a few years ago, I decided that I needed to be more honest in my relationships. That included letting those I dated know if things weren't working out, avoiding compromising situations or dating two people seriously simultaneously. I pretty much kept to and have continued to keep to that with the side effect that I date a lot more. See the example of the freshman for an illustration of how this works. Meet girl, go on two or three dates. Decide for whatever reason that it's not going to work. Inform her and then go home and twiddle thumbs while waiting for next girl to enter your life. No prolonged hitting of the booty while she tries for a relationship or letting things get any more confused, just get out once it's obviously not going to work.

Last year's resolution was to leave boring parties early. That was to curb my budding alcoholism. Nothing gets me on the sauce like being bored in public. I always figure a few more drinks would definitely make these folks more interesting. What always instead is that I wake up with one interesting and humiliating story to serve up my therapist in a few years. So my resolution was supposed to help with that. And it worked, worked so well I'm thinking of extending it to include simply going to fewer parties. This party monster needs to show scary face at fewer events and spend more time doing productive things rather than killing brain cells by the bottle.

The other resolutionish thing I'm trying to do this year is learning to plan. Ye ole Flint is not a planner. It runs in the family. We may all be the worst planners on the planet. Starts with my father who has succeeded in life despite lacking that faculty but still regularly misses flights and has to be reminded of everything a dozen time, moves on the my mother who has run two or three shops and is constantly owed and owes money and not just in that "net 30" way either. I'm talking about borrowing from one person to pay off another and other borderline irresponsible ways of handling her finances because planning it is simply beyond her. My siblings aren't much better and I certainly am not. When the going gets busy, Flint gets befuddled. This is a partial explanation for my long term abandonment of this blog. Once the activities start to pile up, I get butter-fingered and a few things have to get dropped. This blog unfortunately was one of them. What happens when I'm really busy is that I try to handle everything as it comes. Then things start to build up and I start to realize that approach won't work and I must formulate a plan to deal with the rest. So lacking the faculty to do that, I usually decide what's least important, drop it, rush through the more important things and hope that by so doing I cover everything important and still have a little time for what isn't. As my disastrous performance in the final exam I had to take last year and my prolonged absence from this blog would indicate, this obviously does not work. Thus I will read some books, take a seminar, simply think on it and figure out some way of learning to manage my life better. After all, the success of my folks despite their inability to do is not necessarily an indication that I will be similarly successful without it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home