Saturday, March 11, 2006

Friends: An Examination of Flint's crew

The Good

Film Dude: Turkish dude I met through the best friend. Dresses very well, speaks with a heavy accent, total film nut, sees everything; mainstream, indie or foreign. Great dude. Hung out with him last night. Saw Duck Season (good movie), then went to a party with some Turkish people, stopped by Lit and Rififi and had breakfast really late in the morning. Generally not a party monster but an interesting and passionate person. Word is he's gay and somewhat closeted about it. Whatever. He's cool and that's what matters.

Concert girl: Very funny All-American girl. She's from Massachusetts, Rhode Island or some place like that and is your standard Pale Irish. Vicious, vicious wit and incredible store of useless knowledge making her a deadly Trivial Pursuit opponent. She's got great taste in music and has got me seeing a lot more concerts, thus fulfilling rule 3 in a most excellent manner.

The Columbia kids: Grad school kids are great; hard drinking, work shirking, trek to Brooklyn for booze and food kind of people. I like them a lot. They need to work on their attendance at my events, and I'm not deeply involved in any of their lives, but overall, these folks are fine with me. Some of these people should also be in the potentials but I'm not going to list them individually.

My Boston Friends: I've got at least four or five superawesome friends in Boston, really cool and interesting people that I'd like to see a lot more of. They suck because they do not live in New York. If you're reading this, you need to move down here and live close to me.


The Bad

The Best Friend: Once upon a time I thought he was interesting and suave and a great yang to my ying. No more. This fool is failing to evolve and will shortly go the way of the dodo if he doesn't keep up. Less interesting than he's ever been, more socially dysfunctional than ever and worst of all, less cool than he's ever been, he's like a Master of the Universe who's started sweating and swearing on deals and I'm the client rapidly losing interest. Tough.

The Crew: These are the people I've been spending most of my social time lately. Almost all very pretty Asian girls, they are very nice, attend my events, invite me to things (museums, dinner, picnics, birthday parties at horrible, big clubs) and are generally pretty damn alright. The problem then? Well, I suppose it's ungrateful of me, but I'm bored anyway. They're safe, mainstream and generally uninterested in anything too subversive. I sense the potential for true deviance in one of them who seems to have the thrill seeking gene, but she's saddled with a fairly cool but prematurely aged boyfriend who is unlikely to be pleased with me corrupting his little angel. [Editors Note: With my luck, this post is going to be referenced on some huge site and my teeny little blog will be pulled out of obscurity just in time for my friends to see the horrible things I'm saying about them. So welcome any new readers from Pretty Dumb Things and if one of you is with Boing Boing or writes for Gawker, please allow my blog to languish in it's little corner of cyberspace]

The French People: They seemed like they had so much potential, but they're impossible to get a hold of and as they depart these shores shortly, I've sort of bid them adieu a bit early.

The Potential

K girl and her boyfriend: Met these two at a friend's wedding. K girl is hugely combative and probably really a handful to deal with on a daily basis. Yet, she is whip smart, incredibly good looking and gave me one of the most interesting outlooks on racism in America (black guy learns about racism as it affects African Americans from Korean adoptee - I dig it). Her boyfriend is bearded, quieter but no less smart and engaging, and the word is that he's a really talented artist as well. I'd love to hang out with them, but once again they are impossible to get a hold of. We've missed each other a dozen times now and if I didn't think them extra cool, I'd definitely have given up by now. Hope for me.

The lesbian: B is a tall, handsome girl with a shaved head. She definitely does way more drugs than I do. Actually, I thought her a dealer the day I met her. She seems fun, smart and is an undergrad at Columbia. She made sure to ensure I knew she was a lesbian when we first met but seemed enthusiastic about hanging out. I may have spooked her by inviting her to what sounded like a fairly intimate gathering right after meeting her. Haven't spoken to her much since then, but I expect we'll run into each other on campus and that ought to be interesting.


And that dear friends is the sum of my social scene in the city. I must meet more folks so please point me in the direction of cool people in search of the same. Off to shoot some pictures I think.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... Your 'crew' dont sound half bad actually, I'm curious though... As they are all different, do you mix them? Hang out with all of them together I mean?

(Ps: Have changed blog url,so please update to www.jadedfashionista.com, eventually old url will also point to new adress).

xox

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home