Saturday, March 11, 2006

Friends: The Rules

I am no longer cultivating friendships with uninteresting people. Once upon a time my general attitude was that I would be friends with whoever wanted to be friends with me, as long as they weren't serial killers, thieves or of otherwise deplorable character. Those days are over. I am as bored with my friends as it is possible for one to be. Here then are the rules for the new friendships I hope to cultivate. I must somehow jettison or perhaps limit my time with the old ones in order to make time for new ones.


The Rules
1. Must have a spark of life in them, I'm talking good energy, zest; must feel like I'm talking with a real person when I have a conversation with them. Dull, lifeless people get killed on this island.
2. Must be bearable. In other words, they can't have really horrible manners, absolutely no social graces, or talk about themselves all the time. I do have one friend who I very much love who is an absolute disaster in public places (says the most offensive things, drinks too much, etc) but he makes up for it by being exceedingly loyal and hilarious and he has a great heart in him. I don't know if I can handle anyone else as difficult to handle as he is, but I could make exceptions.
3. Must be interesting, have interests and passions, which hopefully they will introduce me to. Honestly, what the fuck is the use of a friend who doesn't make you more interesting. Everyone has to bring something to the table. Invite me to concerts, parties, drag me off to explore the city or do other weird shit.
4. Must accept my invitations to engage in my passions or just to hang out. I try to invite people to things I think they'll enjoy. I don't drag my introverted friends to loud dance clubs or insist that people do thing they're uncomfortable with. But people must make a fucking effort! This one girl (who just sent me an invite to her wedding) has not managed to make it to one of the four or so events I've had at my apartment since I moved back to the city, alternating lame excuse with not acknowledging my invites at all. Besides that, she's low energy and I've had other friends complain that she's mean. Dead that shit. I've got to go to her wedding, but her emails will definitely be languishing in my inbox.
5. Liberal is good. Republicans aren't necessarily bad, but you can't be in your twenties, living in New York City and conservative. We've got life, we must fucking live it right? Right people right, we must!
6. There is no six. I just need good, interesting people who aren't bores, rigid automatons, racist or ignorant idiots, who want to fucking live life. Is that too much to ask for?

The next post will feature an examination of the good, the bad and the potential within my friends pool.

2 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

I am definitely #2, I have the mouth of a truck driver and like to say the most inappropriate things. Blame it on my mother, most people think its charming, others want to kill me when we are in a crowded subway.

2:40 PM  
Blogger sinclair sexsmith said...

this is great, I am so borrowing this idea and writing a list of my own. are you annoyed by all my comments yet? ;)

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home