Saturday, April 01, 2006

Good thing my head's attached as I'd likely lose that too

In the half decade preceeding 2006, I can count on one hand the number of things I lost. After a childhood of exceeding carelessness, I settled into some sort of responsibility and actually learnt how to take care of my things. In 2006, that ability of mine completely disappeared. Here is a catalogue of things I've lost in increasingly bizzare ways this year:

1. My favorite pair of gloves, some tan Cole Haan gloves that sat safely in my brother's room for two years before I picked them up Christmas, only to lose them at the end of January.
2. My ipod, a year old, 40 gig wonder that made many a trip bearable for me.
3. Two hundred United States dollars. Unfuckingbelieavable
4. Two hundred dollar Oakley sunglasses

A quick glance at that list quickly confirms that, the cash aside, these are all pretty nice but non-essential things. It's like someone declared a luxury tax on me, nicking or otherwise facilitating the loss of all my little material pleasures. Of course, that person would be my own careless self. I stuck the gloves in my back pocket an actually felt them fall as I ran to catch the bus. In my rush though, I paid no attention till I was settled on the moving boss, at which point I convinced myself that I must have left them at home and not brought them out at all. Yeah, you lie to yourself all the time too. The ipod was either dropped or nicked from my back pocket during a night of extreme debauchery on Lit's grimy premises. Despite my intoxication, I'm still mystified that anyone could have got anything out of such fitted jeans without my attention, but I do remember being pretty damn distracted for portions of that evening. My most recent loss, the sunglasses also appears connected to Lit, suggesting to me that perhaps I should find another place to indulge my debaucherous side. I could swear that upon departing last night, the glasses were in my coat pocket and I even remember playing with them as I walked towards my door. Unfortunately before departing to watch Brick and then party some last night, I took on my apartment with broom and mop, organizing and cleaning to sparkling goodness. Thus, when I was unable to find the sunglasses this morning, there were no mounds of disorder in which I could convince myself the glasses could be hiding. Those damn hipsters! As to the dough, well I rarely carry more than 60 bucks in cash on my person, preferring to pay for everything with credit or debit. Of course, the one day there was an exception to this, the cash mysteriously disappeared. Strange and stranger.

Anyway, with far more urgent fiscal priorities, it is unlikely that I will be replacing any of these things anytime soon. If anything good has come from all of this, it is that at least my senses are more alert to my environment. Devoid of gloves, earphones and shades, my touch, hearing and vision are now that much less encumbered. And short of losing my watch or the clothes off my back, I have few useless pleasures left to dispose of. Wish me luck in keeping those I've retained.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So lovely to meet you last night. Honestly. What a looker you are, too (not to objectify you or anything...but seriously).

Hopefully our paths will cross in real time again soon, but in the meantime I'll be catching up with you online.

xxoo
Cherry

6:56 PM  
Blogger Viviane said...

I'm sorry I didn't get introduced to you on Monday.

And when you're ready, us Salo(o)ners are interesting and have a spark of life to us.

And don't forget that light at the end of the semester.

best,
Viviane

8:11 AM  
Blogger Flint said...

Yes Viviane, I also am sad I didn't get to meet you. Perhaps next time then. I had a wonderful time and would definitely love to be at more of these events.

CG, I definitely have to hang out with you more often. I feel unbelievably popular.

Cherry dear, I'm very much hoping our paths cross again. Thank you for the compliment and no, I don't mind objectification. I think you're smoking hot (wipes brow).

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home